Brad's cream of turkey soup with wild rice. A dear friend brought me some of this soup when I was ill—and it instantly hit the spot. I asked her for the recipe and I've made it several times since, especially when I have leftover turkey to use up. Now I like to take it to friends when they're not feeling well.
Lots of turkey leftovers, of course, so I decided to give it a go. I used a wild rice brown rice mix and added that, then also only used one cup of heavy cream because I was low on milk. Got leftover cooked chicken or turkey? You can have Brad's cream of turkey soup with wild rice using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Brad's cream of turkey soup with wild rice
- You need 5 cups of shredded left over turkey.
- Prepare 5 of celery stalks, sliced thin.
- Prepare 3 of large carrots, sliced thin.
- You need 1 of small onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbs of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of marsala cooking wine.
- Prepare 1 of lg sweet potato.
- It’s 2 tbs of butter.
- You need 1 qt of whipping cream.
- It’s 2 tsp of granulated chicken bouillon, or to taste.
- You need 8 strips of bacon, chopped and cooked. Drain on paper towels.
- Prepare 1 sprig of each; fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, fresh sage, minced.
- You need 4 of servings of prepared wild rice.
- It’s of Texas toast.
Cook up a pot of soup! This recipe is a healthier twist on a classic creamy turkey and wild rice soup that Followed recipe with the exception of using chicken instead of turkey extra carrots no sour cream no parsley and no added salt (due to the salt in the rice. Use your left-over turkey to make a surprisingly elegant cream soup full of tender wild rice and turkey, simmered in broth enriched with half-and-half. Bring the wild rice and water to a boil in a saucepan.
Brad's cream of turkey soup with wild rice instructions
- Sautè carrots, onion, and celery in a lg frying pan with a little oil. When onion gets tender, add garlic. When carrots are tender, deglaze pan with marsala. Cook until all liquid reduces..
- Meanwhile cook sweet potato in oven or microwave until soft. Set aside to cool. As soon as it is able to be handled, peel and place in a bowl. Mix 2 tbs of butter and enough whipping cream to make it mash creamy..
- Place turkey, vegetables, herbs, and bacon into a large stock pot. Cover with water. Add bouillon and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes..
- Add whipping cream and return to a simmer. Slowly add potatoes, stirring constantly until well incorporated. And heated through..
- In a bowl, place rice to one side. Fill bowl with soup. Serve with Texas toast. Serve immediately. Enjoy..
How to make Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup. Start by sautéing the mushrooms, celery, carrots, and onion in a large stock pot. Add in the flour, followed Add the quick cooking wild rice and let simmer until tender. Add in the turkey gravy, half and half, and the left over turkey. Scott Stankowski teams up with Chef Thad from Michele's Restaurant and Catering to share his recipe for Cream of Turkey Wild Rice Soup!