Posole. It is also popular (under the older spelling posole) in the cuisine of New Mexico where it was a common dish among the Pueblo Indians residing along the Rio "Authentic Pozole Rojo (Red Posole) Recipe". Traditional Mexican pozole (posole) is a rich, brothy soup made with pork, hominy, and red chiles. Pile your bowl with toppings like shredded cabbage, radishes, cilantro, lime, and avocado!
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen. Add some water or broth if the posole is too thick. Many Mexican markets have posole meat already chopped up for you. You can have Posole using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Posole
- It’s 2 lb of pork loin.
- Prepare 1 medium of onion, diced small.
- Prepare 3 clove of garlic.
- It’s 1 packages of dried guajillo chili pods, stems & seeds removed.
- It’s 2 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1 tbsp of mild chili powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Mexican oregano.
- Prepare 2 tsp of season salt.
- You need 1 small of bay leaf.
- It’s 8 cup of chicken broth or stock.
- You need 1 can of diced anaheim chilies.
- It’s 2 can of 30 oz each hominy, drained & rinsed.
Pozole (posole) is a Spanish word, pronounced Po-ZO-leh. This soup isn't your traditional Pozole Rojo, that is much different. That is made with pork and is cooked in a dried chile pepper based broth and it. Note: "Posole" or "pazole" are alternative spellings used to describe this dish.
Posole step by step
- Remove fat & any silver skin from pork. Cut into 1" cubes. Brown in small amount of oil in bottom of large pot..
- Add diced onion & season salt. When onions are translucent add garlic, minced finely, being careful not to burn the garlic..
- Add chicken broth/stock to pot. Add spices and bring to low boil..
- Boil enough water to cover dried chilies. Let steep 30 min. Put water and chilies in blender and liquefy. Add canned anaheim chilies and chili mixture to pot and lower heat to simmer for 3 hrs..
- When pork has simmered for 3 hrs., remove from soup & shred with a fork. Return shredded meat to pot. Add rinsed and drained hominy and simmer another 45 min. to an hour..
- Serve soup with shredded fresh cabbage, diced radish and avocado, if desired. Squeeze lime wedges over top of soup and garnishes. Enjoy!.
The final step is to enjoy! Notes. "Posole" or "pazole" are alternative spellings. Posole, also known as pozole, is a simple stew made with pork and hominy. It's easy to make and delicious to eat. This is the best Posole I've ever had.