You can cook Strawberry Shortcake using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Strawberry Shortcake
- Prepare 1 kg of fresh strawberries – destemmed and sliced.
- Prepare 100 g of castor sugar.
- Prepare 280 g of plain flour.
- You need 4 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 2 tbs of caster sugar.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- It’s 70 g of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 of egg.
- It’s 150 ml of milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 500 ml of double cream, whipped.
Strawberry Shortcake step by step
- Cut the stems off the strawberries and slice them. Place them all in a bowl with 70-100 g of castor sugar. Mix thoroughly and set aside..
- Preheat the oven to 220c, and grease+flour a 20cm/8inch cake pan..
- Add the flour, baking powder, 2 tbs caster sugar, and salt together..
- Rub the butter into the mixture with your hands until is resembles coarse crumbs. If you pinch the mixture between your thumb and pointer finger, it should flatten and briefly hold shape. Make a well in the center of this mixture..
- Beat the single egg. Add the egg and milk to the well in the centre and stir until just combined..
- Spread the batter into the pan and bake for 15-20minutes or until it is golden brown. Be careful not to burn the bottom and overcook. Let the cake cool slightly before transfer it to a wire rack..
- While the cake is baking, whip the cream until it has a light and airy consistency..
- When the cake is cool enough, slice it in half and place a layer of whipped cream down. Put 1/2 of the strawberries on top of the cream. Place the other cake layer on top. Top this with the remaining cream and strawberries! Enjoy!.